Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Intercession of a Saint

So one of the cool things about becoming Catholic is that instead of occasionally mentioning Saints you actually have a list -- it's no longer an alien concept spoken of in hushed terms. Heck and entire encyclopedia of Saints. I checked and sadly my grandfather wasn't specifically named (kidding) but I'm sure if I asked for his intercession he'd stop fishing long enough to help. It's that same spirit that lead me to send an email asking for Saint Rose of Lima (Rosa de Lima) for a personal intercession.
It's actually a big step to make. As a Southern Baptist "praying to saints" has always been taught as a no-no. Well, it turns out that Catholics don't actually "pray to" the saints. Turns out they are simply using the same adage that Baptists do only with a little twist. Let me explain.

Baptists are very fond of prayer trees, or even simply asking others to "pray for them". In Isaiah and in Job, God says (and I'm paraphrasing), that he listens to the righteous or good/pious. Since we truly believe that those have died before are in Heaven and enjoying His presence and those in Heaven are cleansed and pure, who better to ask to pray on our behalf? As a Baptist I found this at first offsetting, then the more I thought about it the more it made sense. Turns out it's a pretty beautiful thing and a constant reminder that we are not alone.

I for one believe that my Grandfather is a perfect Saint. Sure not a perfect man but when he died, I can't tell you how many people from the congregation mentioned missing him. He was known as the cookie man. Always making cookies for the kids and whatnot. He did that for his grandkids too. I miss his council dearly. Of course he'd be mad at me for changing religions on him but I believe that now that he's joined the heavenly host, he has a much better understanding of things. At least I hope that's one of the additional perks we receive in heaven. I believe that there are hundreds of thousands if not millions saints out there that are not officially recognized. It's an unintended goal for all Christians to be like the Saints. I intend to be one.

Anyway, to get back on task I asked for and wrote an email for the intercession of a Saint Rosa for a personal issue that was bothering me (actually two but I digress again). Without going into the details I emailed of the request, I emailed to the gmail account provided. The request is printed and dropped down a well. I received a response as well a thank you in Spanish that was very nice and after I translated it, actually made me think it was a really neat thing. The Holy Spirit seemed almost tangible.

In a nutshell, the problem has gotten much better and I believe that it's with the help of a Saint "mentioning" it to God directly, or at least the ceaseless love of our Lord Jesus Christ hearing my own prayers in conjunction as well. Regardless, it's a nice feeling knowing that you have a deep bench of people who are more than willing to pray for you both living and passed.

For more information about Saint Rosa here's an article (you'll need to translate from Spanish)
Catholic.org Information on Saint Rosa/Rose

O Lord, who art ever merciful and bounteous with Thy gifts, 
look down upon the suffering souls in purgatory. 
Remember not their offenses and negligences, 
but be mindful of Thy loving mercy, which is from all eternity. 
Cleanse them of their sins and fulfill their ardent desires that they may be made worthy to behold Thee face to face in Thy glory. 
May they soon be united with Thee and hear those blessed words which will call them to their heavenly home: 
"Come, blessed of My Father, take possession of the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment