Saturday, November 10, 2012

Being Faithful -- At all levels


Jesus, the Son of God, spoke on faith often. It always seemed to be the focus or at the very least a requirement for the lesson at hand. Is Faith the foundation that is required in everything?




When Jesus taught us that we should be faithful he was rather direct.

You have heard that it was said to the ancients: ‘You shall not commit adultery.’  But I say to you, that anyone who will have looked at a woman, so as to lust after her, has already committed adultery with her in his heart.  And if your right eye causes you to sin, root it out and cast it away from you. For it is better for you that one of your members perish, than that your whole body be cast into Hell.  And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it away from you. For it is better for you that one of your members perish, than that your whole body go into Hell. -- Matthew 5:27-30

He was directly speaking on adultery. Even the hint or thought of doing something behind your spouses back was adultery. No if, ands, or buts about it. It's hard when the entire world tells you that if it feels good do it. Or a little office flirtying is okay as long as nothing is actually done; flirty emails and the like. Course Jesus is rather direct about such things and there is harm the MOMENT it happens.

Now let take that lesson and apply it to faith. My biggest problem is doubt. Satan can no longer get between me and God so he tries another tack. Doubts and fear. So I've taken the verse from Matthew and taken a different twist on it. I try to overcome or distance myself from doubts or those things that cause them. Those things were doing nothing more than causing me to distance myself from Him.

Furthermore, it takes an act of Faith to put difficulties and doubts in His hands. To fully surrender takes time and effort. The first and most important step. Believe that he can help and is there. To believe, to have faith -- actual faith is extremely hard to a modern hardened heart.

This prayer was written by St. Ignatius of Loyola.
Prayer:
Take, O Lord, and receive my entire liberty, my memory, my understanding and my whole will. All that I am and all that I possess You have given me: I surrender it all to You to be disposed of according to Your will. Give me only Your love and Your grace; with these I will be rich enough, and will desire nothing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment