Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Souls of the Lost and Straying

It appears that the third largest faith is an anathema to the human existence. Can we rescue generations from this pit?
According to the UK Daily mail, atheism is now the third largest faith behind Christianity and Islam. Why? I've have some insight. It's less hate and more a reaction like you'd see with a spoiled child. Atheism at it's base it a belief system in "no" deity. Period. Which is sad, but I'm now at a place where I'm okay with it -- I understand peoples frustrations albeit I don't agree. I'd like all souls to go to heaven but on the flip side I really want to spend eternity with other souls that genuinely want to be there. Not a very Christian way of thinking but I'm honestly tired of evangelizing to those that seem to resist simply for the attention.

I've spent many decades in my previous faith as a Baptist bible-thumper. Now I'm a Catholic evangilizer but in a different bent -- I feel a profound sadness for all people. Both the bickering amoungst Christians, as well as the generally sinful pressures of the secular world and it's no wonder that people are giving up on faith and relying on their selves.

The Pope even mentioned this during Christmas Eve mass. Sad when even he recognizes that people are so fed up with bickering that they'll go so far as to condemn themselves to eternal damnation. It's really hard not to throw up ones hands and give up. To some it is almost a relief. Speaking for myself, I was nearly there. I didn't feel at all at home at my current church especially since my divorce. I tried reaching out to a couple of other local Baptist churches and only got more frustrated. Instead of giving up on Faith and walking away from God, I decided to figure out where we as Christians went wrong. Thus in a nutshell what led me to the Catholic Church. My wife and I contacted a local parish and low and behold I found a home.

The Magnificat has a great point in today's reading I'd like to share:

Like the deer that yearns
for running streams,
so my soul is yearning
for you, my God.

My soul is thirsting for God,
the God of my life;
when can I enter and see
the face of God?

My tears have become my bread,
by night, by day,
as I hear it said all the day long;
"Where is your God?"

Deep is calling on deep,
in the roar of the waters:
your torrents and all your waves
swept over me.

By day the Lord will send
his loving kindness;
by night I will sing to him,
praise the God of my life.

I will say to God, my rock:
"Why have you forgotten me?
Why do I go mourning
oppressed by the foe?"

Why are you cast down, my soul,
why groan within me?
Hope in God; I will praise him still,
my savior and my God.

Actually this is psalm 42: 2-4, 8-10, 12 but it really does a great job of encapsulating the feelings I think that most who have fallen or walked away feel. A supreme hurt, a supreme yearning for something that the world in general has told them that the Church can't provide. Basically, that God isn't real, God isn't there and that you have only yourself. What a lonely lonely place. One sadly, I was looking into the abyss of myself.

It's hard for those of us with strong belief to not have a profound sense of apathy towards the secular culture or at least a continued divisiveness with other Christians faiths. It's a sad state when hundred of years later we are still fighting over dogma. It would be a brilliant world if we could battle with that much chutzpah over the souls of the lost.

Pray on it. Live it. Water and treat your own faith like a brilliant huge tree. One of which people won't be able to help to pluck a fruit from and enjoy themselves. You are not only there for God, but you can be that beacon for others.

For the lost: There is someone who cares and who is always with you. Truly, you give yourself fully to Him and he will be there. Fear is Satan's best weapon. You have nothing to fear. Trust in God and allow him to show you something you never thought was possible. Become his, and all things are possible. Listen to the world, and you will truly never see an end to your suffering.

As always, I pray for you my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment