Monday, January 6, 2014

My 2014 Revolutions!

Okay, I know it's supposed to be resolutions and yes I'm totally taking my joke from that AT&T commercial. That said it seemed to fit and after decades of failed resolutions (mostly related to consistent exercise) I really wanted to have a spiritual revolution for myself this year. I'm all fire and brimstone excited about my journey in the Catholic faith.

So what are my revolutions. Well, the first is pretty standard, at least for me. As I've mentioned in my post last year, I have my patron saint. I also have one that I pick every year (either at random or choice). Originally my idea was to have it be random to learn about a new saint however this year I picked. This year my "additional" saint is St. Joseph, Step-dad to Jesus. It seemed to me very appropriate since I'm a new "real" dad as well as perpetual step-father to my other four children. It seemed like a good fit and I wanted to explore more this known yet vaguely mysterious dad.

My second revolution is to learn more about the core of my new faith. It just so happens that my prayer to learn more was answered. On my twitter feed I happened to notice a post that explicitly focuses on learning and reading both the Bible and the Catechism of the Catholic Church. I thought that this would do two things for me. First, I'd have my dedicated bible study for the next year, but also it allowed me to daily take bite size chunks out of the catechism.
The guide was created by the Coming Home Network. The guide is very simple. Three different readings in the Divine Scriptures, and a section of the Catechism. That's it. That simple. As nearly a life-long Christian I find myself woefully over confident on my understanding of the faith. Certainly my conversion has helped tone that down a bit, but as a self-professed bible-thumper it's really hard not falling back into that "more holy than thou art" attitude. That's something I've really been trying to keep from having come home to the Catholic Church. I want to be as universal and accepting as I felt the church was for me.

Anyway, tonight is #7 and I'm a week in and keeping things going. Pray for me and my continued quest for learning our faith and growing stronger in Christ.

Happy New Year everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment