Wednesday, October 9, 2013

A Year Into Our Journey

It has now been a year since my family started our Catholic journey. It has sure been a rewarding, thought filled, and fun ride. I have met so many very good people on the way. In that time I've seen three of my step-kids receive the sacrament of Baptism, and the Eucharist. I've seen the birth of my beautiful daughter and I've found out that my spouse is just as enthusiastic about the church as I am.

As a Southern Baptist convert, I have a lot of work to do. Thousands of years of history to learn, and customs that many Cradle Catholics take for granted (for instance, Advent and the various obligation days).

I'm sure that many of my family are not pleased with our decision. Frankly, they may not be pleased but not a one has been really surprised. I do tend to still be all bible-thumpy and for that I beg your prayers and forgiveness. That said I've brought a TON of good habits to my parish. I always arrive at least 10 minutes before Mass begins and I NEVER would dream of leaving before the Mass has ended (that means the song of sending too folks). That said, I need to worry about the plank in my own eye.

In this year I've had the good fortune of having my first Priest retire and a new Priest come into the parish. Both men are extremely, exceedingly good. Honestly, the only thing either was missing was an Irish accent. Both Priest were quick to point out they are sinners, but both were eager to give you a word or even to talk. I praise God for my luck, and ask for his blessing on both these fine priests.

There are things that I'm still working on even today. Mainly, the Rosary and other "oddities" that I'm still getting used too; the stuff that was truly alien to a poor protestant. Whereas I had no trouble picking my patron Saint or praying for intercession (we Baptists always ask for others to intercede for use; and my patron Saint Becket was always a favorite of mine), the other "stuff" I'm still learning and enjoying -- even the challenges. It's strange but I truly feel God's will and "push" on several projects; to the point it is surreal. I'm just hoping that I can assist the Church a portion of the amount I feel it has helped me and my family.

If I may be vulgar to ask for your prayers for myself and family as we continue this journey. I cannot begin to explain how rewarding, nor what a strength it has been for us but it is only a matter of time until Satan tries to separate us from Christ.

Saint Becket, pray for us.
Saint Matthias, pray for us.
Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us.
Jesus Christ have mercy on us, and on the whole world.
In the name of the Father, the Son, and Holy Spirit. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment