Thursday, December 20, 2012

Too Busy for Christ

http://newevangelizers.com/blog/2012/11/01/are-we-too-busy-to-be-catechized/
I love those who love me. And those who stand watch for me until morning shall discover me.  With me, are wealth and glory, superb riches and justice. Proverbs 8:17-18

I've gotten really bad about attendance. With a pregnant wife, three step kids it is very easy to NOT get up Sunday morning. With Mass at our church multiple times a week there should be no reason. That said, I seem to be always finding a way.


I seem to be struggling of late with attendance. I've missed now TWO days of obligation (granted I didn't realize 11/1 was one, but that's really no excuse. In addition, I'm falling into a routine that makes me very lonely and with a dry well. A well that I find a need more and more during the week. I try and fulfill my needs with readings and even prayers during my scant lunch hours. Even going so far as doing the Rosary while my family sleeps.

It helps and I can keep off the despair but NOTHING compares to attending Mass. I'm likely a loner but I get caught up in what many cradle Catholics can't wait till it's over. It's like Christmas Even every mass. I cannot wait for my first reconciliation, (hopefully Father has some time blocked out for me). In addition, I wait with child like anticipation for my first Eucharist.

As a Southern Baptist, I always listened to the Preached and on the few times we took communion rarely did I do so. Mainly because it sounded like if you thought you didn't deserve you shouldn't partake. I remember one particular time I didn't and my mother was aghast  I think it was Easter or another holiday. The reason -- I was very unhappy in my marriage at the time (I attended church alone; without my first wife) and honestly thought that since I couldn't make things work; I frankly didn't deserve to partake.

With my "relearning" of the Christian faith I find that I wasn't so far off, but was missing the reconciliation piece. Sure I confess my sins to God all the time (it helps when you have an hour long commute on occasions), but I believe that soon my world will be on it's ear and I cannot wait to have that Cathartic experience.

I leave you today with a small pearl of Wisdom:

I love those who love me. And those who stand watch for me until morning shall discover me.  With me, are wealth and glory, superb riches and justice. Proverbs 8:17-18

Do not fear. The next time you are in line to receive the Eucharist  do so with reverence and perhaps a bit of child like anticipation. Couldn't hurt.