Sunday, December 23, 2012

Advent -- The Lost Christmas Holiday

So as I continue my Catholic journey I was overjoyed to find out about the Advent holiday. As a Southern Baptist, I had always been taught that Advent was little more than the Christmas season. Turns out, there is so much more and a holiday that Christians need to rediscover.


Now for my audience I'm not going to break down the why's, why nots or even describe the Advent season -- you can do that on your own. I suppose my question is why was this kept from me for so long? Does it challenge the Protestant establishment to its core? I don't think so. Does it conflict with their teachings? I didn't see that. What then? Why has this time been tossed away by other Christians?

For whatever reason the Christian Advent holiday has become connected with Catholics and specifically their/our traditions. Its too bad. It seems like a great way to get the family excited for Jesus's birthday.

 So if the Bible is okay to share why not the Advent season? It's a question I fear many may be simply trying to avoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment